Total Pageviews

Friday, January 18, 2013

Pop a squat

Before I get started, I just have to say my blog is more just thoughts and not nearly as creative as other blogs like my brother in laws!
I am hoping that by writing this someone can help me to better understand this whole "no public restrooms."

The other day, my mother was at a quilting store where she had spent a fair amount of money.  My father was with her and was brother who is disabled was with them but decided he wanted to stay in the car as he was tired from bowling.  When my dad went to go check on my brother he had to go to the bathroom.  A few years ago, my brother was diagnosed with colon cancer and has a history of bathroom accidents.  So rather than try hold it until they got home my dad took my brother into the quilting store and to the back where the sign said restrooms.  As they headed in, the owner started hollering at my father that there was not any public restrooms and they could not use the restroom.  My dad explained to her that my brother was disabled. She still refused to allow my brother to use the restroom and apparently her and my father got into a huge argument (which is kind of common).  I told my mother its a good thing I was not there because I would have had my brother shit on the floor in the middle of her store.
My mom was scheduled to take a quilting class at a later date and my dad told her she needed to cancel   it after this incident.  When my mom called to cancel the class she talked to the owner (the same woman who refused to allow my brother to use the restroom).  The owner apologized to my mother stating that she did not realize that my father and brother were with her and that they were actual customers.  And that she has a disabled son so she would have never denied a disabled customer to use the restroom.
So, hopefully someone can help me understand.  What is the point of not allowing customers to use your restroom in your place of business?  Because people leave a mess?  Okay, so who's to say that just because I buy something in your store I am not going to make a big mess?  Also, don't you have employees who get paid?  Or better yet if you are so worried about it, get an outside janitorial service.  I just don't get it.  To me, it just seems so ANTI-customer.  Believe me, if I was in a store and looking around ready to buy something and asked for a restroom and they told me they didn't have a public restroom, I would put my stuff down and walk out.  What happened to customer friendly places of business these days?  Everyone seems to be so concerned about themselves.  
At what point does someone not qualify as part of the public, which makes them eligible to use the restroom?
I can't tell my mom what to do, but I am really hoping that she finds another store to buy her quilting material and take classes at.  Because whether he was paying or not, she refused to allow my brother to use her restroom, simply because she didn't think he was a paying customer.  She admitted she knew her was handicap, but she said unless he was a paying customer she wouldn't have allowed him.  In the end she denied him from using the restroom.  If I was home, I think I would personally go and take a nice squat in front of her store everyday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment